[opendtv] Re: Content picture fuzzy for latest HDTVs

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:44:10 -0500

There is an advantage to all of us when CE manufacturers include stuff into regular TV's. That is, unless paid to do it differently, they have no incentive to limit it to the walled gardens, unlike boxes provided by the umbilical services.

I think it would be nice if my HDTV could do web browsing, Utube, and regular free Internet services.

- Tom

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 2:02 PM -0800 1/14/08, Dale Kelly wrote:

Kon wrote:

 the chances are high they are using a small embedded platform. Chances
 are higher they are using ARM or MIPS on matchbox PCB or SoC with
 coprocessor

Where are the protestations from those who bemoan that, when ATSC receivers
are included in all sets, customers are forced to pay for hardware they
might not use?
I realize that the ATSC receiver was mandated and this new hardware is not; it appears to be the manufacturers choice and that makes it OK? It would be,
of course, if the consumer has an option to purchase the same set without
that hardware, at a lower price.

This is a stretch of logic on my part, I know, but this subject is almost as
boring as many of Craig's rants.....

Short rant...

As far as I know, this feature is only included on certain models, not all. So the consumer can decide if it is worth the extra bucks.

That being said, it is hard to imagine anyone buying a computer that does not have the ability to run a web browser. I think the same will be true for TVs in a few years...

So the question remains, should it be built in or part of an add on box.

The impression I got from some very connected friends at CES is that the TV manufacturers DO NOT want to let the TV become a dumb monitor for devices like cable and DBS STBs with PVRs, or Apple TV or a Media PC. They have decided that the best way to compete in this arena is to build this stuff in.

And by doing so they may be creating a similar situation to the ATSC tuner. That is, we may still need or choose to use another external box. THis is going to be a very interesting was to watch - it should make the Blu disc war seem rather trivial in comparison...

The battle for the family room is about to begin in earnest!

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx