[opendtv] Re: Content picture fuzzy for latest HDTVs

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 11:59:46 -0800

On Jan 14, 2008 11:16 AM, Adam Goldberg <adam_g@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> IMHO, and just guessing, I'd say that hardware resources (or lack of extra
> thereof) drives this.  That is, there isn't enough extra hardware resources
> (CPU, memory, etc) to support a full browser, and they've probably
> shoe-horned in just enough of a browser to do /something/ (in this case, a
> very limited walled garden).
> And I'd doubt that the Opera/Linux connection has anything to do with
> anything in the design of TVs.

They are running Linux on the TV, as per their press announcements. So
the chances are high they are using a small embedded platform. Chances
are higher they are using ARM or MIPS on matchbox PCB or SoC with
coprocessor (there's more than enough space in the back of the TV to
store a matchbox system). Maybe they are using a small Java stack with
J2ME, and probably Opera if that is the case since it is the most
readily available. These browsers can run in 1Mb of RAM and 32Kb of
stack. Opera and Netfront have the highest penetration on these
platforms. So yes, it has everything to do with the design of these
particular TVs.

These commercial browser stacks are sold to OEMs with no
customizations. If you want a browser, you license it separate or with
the platform (SoC/'generic' hardware), and you get a browser stack,
HTTP1.0/1.1 complaint, end of story. It may have limitations (no flash
plugins, etc.) but no browser company offers stacks stripped down to
display only one 'website'.

This is walled garden by design, not by technical limitation.

Cheers
Kon