[opendtv] Re: Content picture fuzzy for latest HDTVs

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:01:55 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> Big deal, Craig. HD PVRs should be commodity items by now.
>> Of course the umbillical services prefer you to use their
>> proprietary boxes. It gives them a persistent revenue stream.
>> And of course they'll try to introduce features that are
>> difficult for third party systems to implement, just to keep
>> people dependent on proprietary solutions.
>>
>> But again, unless you are on their payroll, there's no reason
>> to imply that these tactics are objectively the best solution
>> from the consumers' point of view.
>
> Consumers who want HD content are not likely to be satisfied
> with the VERY LIMITED offerings of the broadcast networks. For
> one thing, ESPN HD is a major driver of new TV sales, and you
> can;t get that with an antenna. then there are the growing
> number of channels that are moving to HD - we just got the HD
> version of The Food Network.

And what makes you think that third parties aren't perfectly capable of
developing PVRs that work for cable or DBS reception?

> Now how many "different" HD channels can you get off the air
> Bert?

I get loads of channels, Craig, and each one can transmit at least one
HD stream whenever they want. But that's not the issue here. The issue
is simply that CONSUMERS don;t generally want to have to depend on
rented STBs, but they are forced to, and they timidly buckle under like
there's no recourse.

To answer your question directly, I now receive 15 DTV multiplexes here.
Some of these carry as many as 5 subschannels. Most of them carry 1 HD
channel at least some of the time.

EVEN IF some of these are repeats, the sunchannels are NOT. So if teh
broadcasters wanted to, in this market, we could have a DTT system that
easily provides more choice than just about any other.