[opendtv] Re: Content picture fuzzy for latest HDTVs

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:24:46 -0800

On Jan 14, 2008 2:02 PM, Dale Kelly <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Kon wrote:
> > the chances are high they are using a small embedded platform. Chances
> > are higher they are using ARM or MIPS on matchbox PCB or SoC with
> > coprocessor
>
> Where are the protestations from those who bemoan that, when ATSC receivers
> are included in all sets, customers are forced to pay for hardware they
> might not use?
> I realize that the ATSC receiver was mandated and this new hardware is not;
> it appears to be the manufacturers choice and that makes it OK? It would be,
> of course, if the consumer has an option to purchase the same set without
> that hardware, at a lower price.
>
> This is a stretch of logic on my part, I know, but this subject is almost as
> boring as many of Craig's rants.....

I think most people protest with their wallets. It's not like the
product is being forced on you. However I would be curious to know the
premium charged on these sets.

These walled garden web-integrated TV sets are destined to die a
painful death if any amount of money is added to the baseline cost of
the TV. I think that by now the early adopters are savvy enough to
spot a dud when they see one -- so hopefully the amount of people left
holding the bag when Sharp cans the idea due to low sales is kept to a
minimum. Sharp's mistake IMHO is that they are targeting tech-savvy
users who will already have this functionality built into their HTPC,
STB or laptop (some things just don't require a TV). Plus there is the
added factor of the churn rate on televisions. If they can't make a
buck in a few months of sales that thing is toast.

If I were clueless enough to want an all-in-one solution, I would
rather get an HP Mediasmart TV or Acer Media Center LCDTV.

Cheers
Kon