[opendtv] Re: BBC Demonstrates HDTV Broadcasts over SD Channels

  • From: "Kilroy Hughes" <kilroyh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 16:40:55 -0700

The HD DVD-V application format is specified for use on both Red laser
(DVD) and Blue laser (HD DVD) discs.  A publisher can pick the color
based on how many bits they need to ship.

While you can put a majority of movies on an 8.4GB DVD dual layer disc
at 1080P24, it will require a challenging bitrate for today's encoders
(7 - 12 Mbps average), more compressionist time, and reduction of
typical "special features" video, and advanced features unique to HD
DVD-V (animated user interface, broadband applications, lossless audio,
etc.).

It will be interesting to see if publishers go for the most visual
impact per buck (720P), or marketing numerology (1080P) and features. =20

Most consumers consider the output of DVD-V players to be quite good,
especially 480 progressive and upsampled 720P models.  They haven't
tested well on perceived difference of HD alone (vs. re-buying equipment
and their disc library to get it).  Most people agree the next
generation has to be "dramatically better" than DVD-V to get consumers
to "switch", so sometimes that translates to putting the big number on
the package.

Kilroy Hughes
Program Manager, Media Standards
Microsoft Corporation