[opendtv] Re: BBC Demonstrates HDTV Broadcasts over SD Channels

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:10:36 -0700

Sorry, Alan, I was treading upon previous posts of mine, perhaps before you
got on the list or rose up from lurkerdom.

To have HDTV, DVB countries (with the exception of Australia, where the
issue was indentified and prevented) will need to have two transitions up
from analog.  The first, which we're being told is well advance of the US
one, is to DTV transmission systems.  The second is to HDTV.  The only hope
to avoid the second is if in the meantime, there is a second DTV transition
in the regions where HDTV is common now, to 2K or whatever comes next.

What's wrong with it is that it's a kludge.

It's not the BBC that is in denial.  It's the DVB common practices and the
regulators.

How reasonable a simulation of HDTV over transport streams do you think that
store and forward HDTV is ?  (forgive the dangling participle.)   Sounds to
me like a "resistance is futile" marketing ploy, barganing to avoid doing
what really needs to be done.