[opendtv] Re: BBC Demonstrates HDTV Broadcasts over SD Channels

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:04:12 -0700

interlineations in-line

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Roberts" <roberts.mugswell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 12:03 PM
Subject: [opendtv] Re: BBC Demonstrates HDTV Broadcasts over SD Channels

> I've been lurking here for many years :-)
>
> 1: UK has already got the digital transition, it's doing very well.
>
> 2: HDTV is going to happen in Europe pretty soon. Regular transmissions
have
> been happening here for over 2 years.

terrestrial?  regular transmissions of HDTV have been happening in the US
since 1993 or so.

> 3: Sky starts in less than a year and will have significant competition
from
> Day #1 or before.

And, DirecTV and Echostar have been engaging in HDTV transmission for almost
5 years because of terrestrial HDTV.  So, Sky will only be 6-7 years behind.

> 4: The BBC demo isn't a kludge, it's a simple means of using spare
> bandwidth, there can't be anything wrong with that. It was developed
because
> it's a good idea. Even when we've got full HD broadcasting, it could still
> be a useful way to get non-SD signals out over the existing SD network at
no
> cost.

Here's an idea: use the spare bandwidth for real-time HDTV.  I agree that
there is nothing wrong with kludges if that's all that you can do.  I
thought there were all sorts of interactive services that were going to clog
up the available bandwidth.

> 5: There's nothing in the DVB regulations to forbid it, it's a data
stream.

Agreed.  It's the licensing model that's at fault; in DVB countries, the
spec was used to rob broadcasters of their bandwidth (no exceptions, even
Australia, although with a different twist).  DVB also lacks the infamous
table 3, which is not legally enforceable in the U.S.

> 6: It works, I've seen it. Full 1080i/25 and 720p/50 broadcast over a cctv
> Freeview system.

Me, I saw something with more frames and the same or better spatial specs in
1987.

> 7: There's no bargaining involved. It was developed because somebody
thought
> it a good idea, which it is. It isn't BBC policy. Yet. It could be, who
> knows, and why not?

Because it will only take some of the pressure off of the -- pardon my
French -- need for HDTV.

> 8: I can't second guess the BBC's policy on launching HD, or at least I'm
> not prepared to tell you what I know and what I suspect, because I still
> have some NDAs dangling. If you wish to make guesses, carry on by all
means.
> But don't regard this store/forward/store system as an alternative to
> broadcast HD, because nobody's suggesting it is. It's only a demonstration
> of what can be done.

Okay, but HDTV could also be sent via email or usenet to compete with it
(and has been done for some years now).  I tend to think of broadcasting
being about "the shock of the new" with the emphasis on "NOW", not "will
arrive in due course."

John Willkie

US