[opendtv] Re: BBC Demonstrates HDTV Broadcasts over SD Channels

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:53:19 -0400

John Willkie wrote:

> Uh, tom, just how will those affordable 1080p pictures be delivered to
> people?  In other words, what type of transport streams?
>
> Are you familiar with the fact that 1080p uses more samples per second than
> is permitted by MPEG-2 transport streams? (that being just under 63 MM
> samples per second)
>
> Could you point me to the affordable transport streams that will handle this
> format?
>
> John Willkie

You have been singing the glory of MPEG-2 transport streams and
then point out they can't handle 1080p.  Happily however you are
wrong since even ATSC allows for 1080@24 (and 30) which will
likely (in some form) be one of the HxDVD standards and most
efficient for encoding movies.

It is only 1080p @ 60 that is too fat for ATSC transmission and
even that format could probably be done in HxDVD (but won't).

- Tom