[opendtv] Re: BBC Demonstrates HDTV Broadcasts over SD Channels

  • From: dgrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:27:50 -0700

"Just out of curiosity...

What does HDTV add to the "news" experience?"  --Craig Birkmaier

I think HD benefits the viewer in two distinct ways.  (Actually more, but
here are two.)

First, resolution and overall quality.  And I think that is good for all
productions no matter what type: documentary, news, drama, sport, etc.

Second, The HD allows more real estate.  This benefit is what "News" can
use to it's advantage.  News producers are trying to fit way to much into
the SD picture.  The HD picture allows better and more graphics, more
people in a group conversation, better wide angle shots (making you feel
more part of the action), and even having multiple stories at the same
time.  Now I realize that many would say that none of that is necessary and
is actually a distractor, and I agree.  But news producers are doing it and
HD will help.

Dan Grimes