[opendtv] Re: BBC Demonstrates HDTV Broadcasts over SD Channels

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:56:49 -0400

At 10:58 AM -0400 6/23/05, John Golitsis wrote:
>You know what I mean, so I'm not going to explain further.
>
>I will, however, point out that your Samsung does not map 1:1 to a
>1280x720 input.  I don't believe that every pixel of the DLP chip is
>visible on-screen, plus they factor in overscan.
>
>On 23-Jun-05, at 8:38 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>
>>  I can buy a 23" HD capable 1280 x 720 LCD panel from a variety of
>>  sources. I own a 50" diagonal 1280 x 720 DLP rear projection display
>>  from Samsung. Both present the samples at 100%.
>>
>>  What's the difference?

  The correct answer is 27 inches in screen diagonal.

Thus the pixels on the 50 inch screen are significantly larger than
on the 23 inch screen. If you get close enough to the 23" display to
see all of the detail, the viewing distance will be just a few feet.
The typical viewing distance for the 50" screen will be in the range
of 12 feet. For all intents and purposes, you will not see all of the
detail on the small screen at a comfortable viewing distance for
watching entertainment programming, as you would need to sit at a
computer like viewing distance.