[opendtv] Re: A Clue as to number of OTA DTV users

  • From: flyback1 <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:50:07 -0500

It occurred to me just now it might be time to ask a basic question.

How many digital OTA television stations would have to built in Philadelphia or, if you wish, each and every market in the US to cover each market with all the same number of SD and HD
programs now available in those markets over cable or satellite?

Is the FCC's allotment of channels market by market sufficient to accomplish such a task, or would there be adjacent and co-channel interference from one market into another, not to mention within the same market that would stop the process cold? C'mon, somebody choose a market they are familiar with and tell me how many digital stations it would take
to provide all the channels available on cable or satellite.

If it WERE technically possible, would it be economically feasible to attempt such a massive venture?

No?

If not, is it because cable and satellite are much more efficient technically and economically when providing
several hundred channels some which interactive, to each customer?

If digital OTA can't provide the wealth of programming that cable or satellite can in any given market, why are we wasting time and money with 8VSB, ATSC, arguing about it, searching for the grail
of set top boxes,
instead of holding a really great OTA WAKE with weeks of parties, lots of booze and hors derves,
and finally, in the end, toppling over all the towers to protect the birds?

Bob Miller wrote:

On 12/13/06, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The article quotes an increase from 10M homes this year to 24M
> homes in four years going to HDTV. So guess what that says about
> OTA users?

The number of OTA users will go up but the percentage of all with HD
content will go down. When the dust settles it will be 2%. This will
represent those who both want HD and only want to receive it OTA.

A lot of people will want to receive TV OTA but that demand will be
filled more and more by new broadcasters using other spectrum like
channels above 51 and wireless broadband.

Opps! Forgot, should include present TV spectrum below 51 also since
WiFi and its cousins will be allowed to use that spectrum also with
smart radios.

Bob Miller

To be absolutely clear: these numbers refer households actually watching
HDTV. Not just owning an HD-capable set.