[opendtv] Re: A Clue as to number of OTA DTV users

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:21:05 -0500

On 12/14/06, John Golitsis <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So that's a gain of nearly 2 million OTA eyeballs - solely because of
HDTV - and you call that insignificant?  Let's ask the broadcasters
what they think.

If the nation had switched as you wanted, then there would be less
HDTV OTA (perhaps none at all).  Then what would the draw be?

That would make sense if the 7% of households who still rely on OTA
analog were to remain static. But as of early 2009 all of that 7%
analog goes away with the flick of a switch.

We will then see how many of that demographically challenged 7% switch
to digital OTA. Cable and satellite will be after them with
promotions.

I think the reality will be that the day after analog turnoff there
will be no 7%, or 15% if that is what you want to believe. I think it
just goes poof.

There will be a lot of protest by some who were forced to go to cable.
A lot of noise about the converter boxes not working, about the need
for antennas that can not be installed but the number of OTA DTV
households will hardly budge.

And then later it will subside, the number of OTA DTV households that is.

Then there will be a lot of finger pointing, a lot of pointing at the
recent Chinese Olympics and their OTA DTV experience, a lot of talk
about the recent auction of channels 52 to 69 and the suggestion that
since broadcasters in the US can't seem to do anything with their OTA
spectrum that it should be sold off to those who think they can.

The US owned DMB-TH, the Chinese adopted modulation, will be a front
runner as a modulation for use on those subsequently auctioned
channels, 2-51.

Finding a legal fig leaf for continuing must carry for spectrum
stripped broadcasters is the only problem. But that is doable in a
country that thrives on legal BS.

Bob Miller