[opendtv] Re: A Clue as to number of OTA DTV users

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:33:36 -0500

Cliff wrote:

How many digital OTA television stations would have to built in Philadelphia
or, if you wish, each and every market in the US to cover each market
with all the same number of SD and HD programs now available in those
markets over cable or satellite?

Too many to fit, Cliff. We actually went through this some years ago.

The explanation is simple, actually. DBS transmits at about 1 b/s/Hz, so much less spectrum efficiency than OTA. And yet they offer many more channels. In part, of course, because they do not offer these local to each market. In part, because they have more spectrum than OTA in any given market area.

Cable is the same, since they can use all frequencies in the VHF and UHF range, without worrying about taxicabs, airports, ham radio, military, and without worrying about co-channel interference from the adjacent markets.

That's why I think these pay media are safe in their long term survival. Most people will continue to go after the most choice, especially in this country.

If digital OTA can't provide the wealth of programming that cable or
satellite can in any given market, why are we wasting time and money
with 8VSB, ATSC, arguing about it, searching for the grail of set top
boxes, instead of holding a really great OTA WAKE

Do you think that just because some people like to smoke, everyone should be forced to put up with their addiction? Why not try to sell that notion to the UK, France, Italy, or Australia? Forget Freeview, guys. Cable gives you more choice.