[opendtv] Re: A Clue as to number of OTA DTV users

  • From: flyback1 <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 23:03:38 -0500

Albert Manfredi wrote:

Do you think that just because some people like to smoke, everyone should be forced to put up with their addiction? Why not try to sell that notion to the UK, France, Italy, or Australia? Forget Freeview, guys. Cable gives you more choice.

Bert

In the 1940s and early 50s there were just three BBC radio services in the UK: Home, Light and Third. There was also just one television service. ONE! The BBC! It wasn't till 1955 when ITV began broadcasting that there was any competition for the BBC Television Service.

How many radio and tv stations were there in 1950 in NEW YORK CITY, much less the state or the whole country? More than in all the UK.

So the US is addicted to radio and television. Should everyone in the world be forced to put up with their addiction?

I was just making the point that unless I subscribe to either cable or satellite, I will never be able to watch HD NET, ESPNHD, HBOHD
or any other HBO program for that matter.

Most cable and satellite programming will never be seen OTA.
Just local programs which are mostly available in their markets of origin over cable and satellite. It's a one way street.

So why bother with expensive towers, transmiters, huge electric bills and outrageously expensive engineers and managers to run it all?

Cable and satellite are much more efficient and the pictures are certainly better.