[opendtv] Re: A Clue as to number of OTA DTV users

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 12:09:29 -0500

Cliff wrote:

> Cable and satellite are much more efficient and the pictures are
> certainly better.

In fact, the pictures are typically not as good as ATSC, and depending
how you define "efficient," cable and DBS are less efficient, not more.
One reason OTA TV *can* survive as a FOTA service is because it is more
efficient than the other media. I doubt you can keep a cable network
going on ad revenues alone. In fact, they need ad revenue as well as
subscription fees to remain afloat.

In any case, I say again, now the objections (well, yours and those of
some others) have gotten beyond the usual gripes about ATSC and more
about FOTA TV in general. That's an interesting development. It's sort
of a moving target, I guess. But I prefer it that way, because now the
rest of the FOTA schemes are also in your crosshairs.