[opendtv] Re: 20060117 Mark's (Almost) Monday Memo

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:10:26 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> I think interlaced material gets its advantage by
> allowing a little vertical aliasing, sending material
> with more than 540 vertical pixels of resolution.  The
> human visual system can resolve some of the ambiguity
> caused by this aliasing and we are politely willing to
> overlook a small amount of artifacts in order to get
> the extra detail.

That seems reasonable, and also the 1080i has more
horizontal resolution than 720p, as Mark said.

But in addition to this, I would expect that the type of
material transmitted would also favor one or the other
format, perhaps. Anything with significant amount of
vertical motion might favor upconverted 720p. While
material with horizontal motion primarily, even if fast,
would favor deinterlaced 1080i. That's my guess.

I'm not sure which network transmits which HD formats,
but in my short time with a steady diet of HDTV, I have
found that not all HDTV is created equal. The best HD
material, from what I've seen so far, seems to be the
David Letterman show and just about anything on the PBS
HD subchannel.