[opendtv] Re: 20060117 Mark's (Almost) Monday Memo

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 13:24:10 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
 > This should make it obvious that we are nowhere close to theoretical
 > limits on compression efficiency. If you were to look at this as a
 > typical logarithmic function we are still in the "learning curve" -
 > the flat part where there are still large opportunities to improve.
 > As we approach the inflection point, the gains in efficiency will
 > grow smaller and smaller, but it is unlikely that we will every reach
 > any theoretical limits that may exist.

I agree with all the above.  But, that said, I think MPEG-2 may already
be approaching a limit on what can be done if we only recognize the
movement of unchanged fixed size square blocks.  I think various forms
of object based compression will allow us to recognize and thus predict
the existence and complex behavior of much more sophisticated objects.

After all, humans can do it.  Imagine a basketball scene where you are
looking at the back of a players head as he rotates toward you.  You
would predict shortly being able to perceive his eyes and other facial
features.  But information is really a measure of how much you are about
to be surprised by something.  It takes very few bits just to confirm
something you already considered very probable.

Real time video compression will also be able to do this someday, based
upon a better model of visual reality and a recognition of real world
objects.

In the mean time maybe we can at least develop some better motion
compensation methods that recognize something other than moving squares.
  AVC even takes some small steps in that direction.

- Tom