[opendtv] Re: 20060117 Mark's (Almost) Monday Memo

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:01:06 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> Is there a Moore's Law regarding codec efficiency, or
>> is there a theoretical limit?  I mean it seems to be
>> impossible to represent an entire 1920x1080 frame with
>> a single bit (unless the entire screen is monotone),
>> so there must be a theoretical limit as to how much you
>> can compress an image and still have it be a practical
>> display.
>
> An excellent question John. With your permission, I may
> incorporate it into my column on video compression for
> the March issue of BE.
>
> And i am looking forward to other responses: this could
> be an interesting thread!
>
> Moore's law is certainly a factor, as it provides some
> indication of what we can expect in terms of
> computational resources for video compression algorithms
> in the future. Equally important, it can help us predict
> the resources that will be available in low cost consumer
> appliances in the future.

Except that I *think* what John really wondered is whether
there is a Shannon's Law equivalent for codecs. That is, a
theoretical limit to how much a given image (or audio
stream) can be compressed. This is independent of Moore's
Law, other than the presumed requirement of more computing
power needed as compresssion increases.