[opendtv] Re: 20060117 Mark's (Almost) Monday Memo

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:51:44 -0500

At 8:23 AM -0500 1/19/06, John Shutt wrote:
>Is there a Moore's Law regarding codec efficiency, or is there a theoretical
>limit?  I mean it seems to be impossible to represent an entire 1920x1080
>frame with a single bit (unless the entire screen is monotone), so there
>must be a theoretical limit as to how much you can compress an image and
>still have it be a practical display.

An excellent question John. With your permission, I may incorporate
it into my column on video compression for the March issue of BE.

And i am looking forward to other responses: this could be an
interesting thread!

Moore's law is certainly a factor, as it provides some indication of
what we can expect in terms of computational resources for video
compression algorithms in the future. Equally important, it can help
us predict the resources that will be available in low cost consumer
appliances in the future.

As a starting point, it is important to look at both ends of the
problem. That is, how does the ongoing progression in computation
power impact the encoding of content, and how does it impact the
decoding of content.

The philosophy behind most compression codecs today is that the
encoder can be very complex, but it needs to produce a bitstream that
can be decoded by devices with much lower complexity. It is helpful
to look at the overall resources and complexity of modern set-top
boxes and image processing engines in integrated appliances. This
extends well beyond the resources that are available for video
decoding.

For example, a few years ago most of these products had very limited
support for local graphics and run time engines for Java and other
applications needed to deliver enhanced services. Today we are seeing
the same graphics engines (GPUs) that are designed into PCs, making
their way into STBs and integrated receivers. The point I am trying
to make, is that the problem is much larger than just encoding audio
and video streams. We are moving into an era where the "receiver"
will be used for localization and customization of the content that
we view; thus the decoder and local image processing complexity will
increase significantly. As this happens it opens up new possibilities
for the ways in which content is encoded.

MPEG-4 provides an excellent example. Not part 2 (the original video
codec), or part 10 (AVC/H.264), but rather the entire specification.
We have discussed recently the notion of picture elements not being
included (e.g. the ball in a football match). But we have not spent
much time talking about the fact that the MPEG-4 spec can achieve
huge gains in compression efficiency by dealing with picture objects
that are composited in the receiver.

This aspect of MPEG-4 has not been exploited, in part because of the
computational complexity for a receiver, and in part because of the
complexity of extracting the objects from a "flattened composition,"
otherwise known as a finished linear video program. But much of what
is needed to exploit the object composition model for MPEG-4 already
exists in the production systems we use today. IF we keep track of
all of the program elements (video, audio, graphics, 3D, etc) and use
the metadata created by the NLE/compositing systems, we have
virtually everything needed to produce an MPEG-4 composition. We can
do this as simple as telling a receiver to fade the video stream to
black, or to cross dissolve to a new video stream - both of these
simple production techniques reek havoc with pixel based video
encoding systems.

Jeroen has provided many glimpses inside the work being done by
Philips to enhance the presentation of video on modern display
systems. I'm certain he could tell us many tales about Natural
Motion, and computational complexity behind frame rate conversions.
So a good way to look at the problem of video encoding, is to
consider all of the potential paths that exist to predict what future
frames will look like. Prediction is the biggest leverage we have in
terms of gaining compression efficiency.

Mark Schubin will tell you that even with virtually unlimited
computation resources, we still have a difficult time building a
"transparent" video standards converter, and de-interlacing
algorithms still have a difficult time predicting what the
information lost to interlaced acquisition looks like.

MPEG-2 and AVC are still VERY CRUDE in terms of the prediction
routines that are used for motion compensated prediction. The reality
behind AVC is that it simply provide better granularity for many of
the block matching tools used in MPEG-2. For example, we have more
control over the positioning of blocks and the precision of motion
vectors. We have better ways of representing and quantizing the the
information inside the blocks. And we have new tools to mask errors.

With few exceptions, we have not even begun to explore real motion
compensated prediction in compression algorithms, and for good reason
- computational complexity. MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 do not identify and
track objects - they just try to find the most efficient block
matches, which may (or may not) have any relationship to the actual
objects and motion vectors. Perhaps the next big step will be to do
real motion compensated predictions, but this approach is incredibly
complex. We capture images on a 2D image plane, but the objects exist
in 3D space. Thus simple issues like an object moving closer to or
away from the camera make good motion compensated prediction more
difficult. Now add plastic deformations and reflections into the mix
and the calculations go through the roof. How do you predict what a
running back looks like in 3D, or how he is deformed by a 250 pound
linebacker? How do you deal with reflections from 3D objects and
surfaces, when the information in the reflections is also changing.

In short, as with Moore's Law, we are nowhere near the theoretical
limits for improvement. The reality is that each step in the Moore's
Law progression enables us to add refinements to compression
algorithms, and to add more resources in the decoder to enable new
ways to create and encode content.

So the real issue is how to build evolution into the standards that
we use to deliver digital services to the masses. We are now seeing
that many DTV deployments - based on standards that are now a decade
or more old are unable to deal with extensibility. If we add AVC to
ATSC or DVB, the existing deployed receivers must be replaced to work
with the new services.

As we move to more programmable receivers, we may be able to extend
their useful life  by several years, but periodic upgrades are going
to be a fact of life, which is probably the MOST COMPELLING argument
for keeping the receiver/image processor separate from an expensive
big screen monitor. Obviously we will also have integrated products,
and these product may have a very limited run before they are
upgraded. Consider what Apple has done with the iPOD - old iPODs are
not rendered obsolete, but new capabilities are constantly being
added, providing consumers with an incentive to upgrade.

In the emerging digital world, it is not the standards that are the
primary drivers - it is the service that can be delivered that are
the driving force, and the perceived value of these services by the
consumers. In the early days of the PC revolution one could justify
replacing the CPU every 18-24 months based on productivity alone. Now
a PC can remain useful for 5 years or more; to motivate upgrades new
PCs must deliver new services - hence the interest in the Family room.

>If so, then how far away from that theoretical limit is MPEG4/AVC?  Is
>MPEG4/AVC to the point that it really could be a standard that could last
>for 20 years?

How long a standard lasts is not the real issue here. JPEG was
standardized around 1989. It has undergone several updates, and the
JPEG-2000 standard has almost nothing in common with the original
algorithm. But we will expect appliances to deal with the original
JPEG standard for many decades, even as we use newer algorithms to
encode still images in the future.

The real issue is extensibility - building upon what has come before.

The problem comes when we deploy closed systems with no provisions
for extensibility, as has been the case for virtually all of the
first generation of DTV standards. This problem is mitigated in part
by keeping the volatile components separate from the less volatile,
and cheap.  I doubt that many people in the U.K will be upset about
buying a new Freeview receiver when they buy an HDTV and want to view
HD content. The old box will continue to function on the old TV, at
least until the decision is made to stop using MPEG-2.

>Personally, I have no quarrel with Europe's "problem" about obsolete MPEG2
>receivers.  They rolled out digital using very inexpensive boxes, and can
>slowly starve them of bits to make room for AVC simulcasts in HD.  Just as
>DVB-T allows an almost continuous sliding scale of bitrates vs. robustness,
>there is an inherent sliding scale of SD quality vs. HD quality and/or
>number of HD services.

Yup! They have taken a pragmatic approach, even as they have made
concessions to the broadcast community. Most broadcasters in Europe
had upgraded to digital SD before the launch of DTV. They understood
that the public would see a significant improvement in picture
quality without having to force everyone to buy a new TV. And now
they are prepared to take advantage of the cost reductions and
improvements in technology as they launch HDTV services.

Unfortunately, in the U.S. for political reasons the broadcasters
attempted to leapfrog a generation. The result has been a very slow
start and a system that is already out of date. This was ENTIRELY
predictable.

I think is is foolish for anyone in the television business to think
in terms of locking down technology for extended periods of time. The
right approach is to design in extensibility, and decide when the
time has come to start over again. My guess is that we can expect no
more than 10-15 years from a product before it will be more efficient
(cheaper) to start over.

>Only those who need HD will have to replace their tuners, and in many cases
>the tuner will be built into the display or else what is another $300US on
>top of a $2,000US HD display?

Why $300? Bert tells us that we can build complete ATSC receivers
with HD for less than $100.  It should be even less for DVB receivers.

>Australia got the worst of it by allowing SD only boxes to be sold, but
>still demanding that MPEG2 HD also be used.  Perhaps their HD penetration is
>so low that they could allow an HD switch to MPEG4 and compensate those few
>HD adopters.  Then they would be back in harmony with the Old Country.

No, we got the worst of it by trying to deploy HDTV too soon. If you
have a receiver or an HD capable monitor that is more than a year
old, it probably will not work (for HD) in a few years.  But take
heart, it will still deliver 480P quality.