[opendtv] Re: 20060117 Mark's (Almost) Monday Memo

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:23:24 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

>I'm running an AVS poll on that very subject right now for those that
>recently got a 1080p display for Xmas, or wherever.  The results
>strongly suggest (against my expectations) that deinterlaced 1080i is
>superior.  Though the number of respondents is still small (30 with a
>1080p display).  See:
>
><http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=621591>
>
>It is always a mystery to me why 1080i continues to do so well but it
>often looks better to me too.  But I don't have a 1080p display yet.

Given that most network programming is 24p, there's no surprise that
1440 x 1080 should look better than 960 x 720 (the respective luma
resolutions of HDCAM and DVCPROHD in 720p mode, respectively).  Both are
progressively scanned.

I saw calls on the AVS Forum to compare live stuff, but it may be harder
to find that.

TTFN,
Mark