[opendtv] Re: 20060117 Mark's (Almost) Monday Memo

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 00:59:36 -0800 (PST)

Many 1080i sets look as good as a 1080p set because they deinterlace into  a
picture buffer and then read it out at much higher than 30 fps, just like a
computer monitor can spit out the same image at 60, 72, 75 Hz, etc.
Note VirtualHD 1080p processing in my 2003 Hitachi 42-inch Plasma, which is
capable of 1280x1024@75 fps on the VGA port (see attached brocure).

PS: Sears has the similiar Hitachi 42HDM12 Monitor (Alis 1024x1024) on sale for
$1,979:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=ELEC&pid=05775725000&subcat=38+to+51+inch+TVs

                  <holl_ands>

Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> Mark Schubin wrote:
>

>>     - This story from Connected Home Media I liked for one
>>of the headlines.  Did you know 2006 will be "The Year of
>>HDTV"?
>>

> I think what the paragraph actually describes is the year of
> 1080p. Which The Perfect Vision is also claiming. In which
> case, the interesting question (IMO) would be what looks
> better on a 1080 at 60p display? 720p upconverted, or 1080i
> deinterlaced?

I'm running an AVS poll on that very subject right now for those that
recently got a 1080p display for Xmas, or wherever.  The results
strongly suggest (against my expectations) that deinterlaced 1080i is
superior.  Though the number of respondents is still small (30 with a
1080p display).  See:

It is always a mystery to me why 1080i continues to do so well but it
often looks better to me too.  But I don't have a 1080p display yet.

- Tom

Yahoo! Photos ? Showcase holiday pictures in hardcover
 Photo Books. You design it and we?ll bind it!

-- Type: application/pdf
-- File: Hitachi 42HDT50 SpecSheet incl VirtualHD 1080p Proc.pdf
-- Desc: 3527817690-Hitachi 42HDT50 SpecSheet incl VirtualHD 1080p Proc.pdf