[opendtv] Re: 20040921 Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:43:14 -0400

Rule.

LAS VEGAS, NAB Booth #L12107, April 9, 2000 -- George Lucas has formally
announced that he will shoot the next episode of Star Wars: Episode II using
digital 24 frame progressive high definition in place of film for most of
the movie's live action scenes following four months of systematic testing
by Lucasfilm Ltd. and Industrial Light & Magic (ILM), a division of Lucas
Digital Ltd.

Using a prototype digital acquisition system consisting of a Panavision
modified Sony HDW-F900 integrated camera recorder, a series of carefully
prescribed tests were initiated by teams from ILM and Lucasfilm working in
conjunction with Sony and Panavision. These tests, which include image
performance and system functionality culminated in comparative shoots with
motion picture film, convinced George Lucas and producer, Rick McCallum of
the benefits of shooting in digital 24P at 1920 x 1080 HD sampling.

"The tests have convinced me that the familiar look and feel of motion
picture film are fully present in this digital 24P system, and that the
picture quality between the two is indistinguishable on the large screen,"
said Lucas.

"It's an exciting step that we are taking, and working with Sony and
Panavision, we plan to further advance this system over the coming years,"
continued Lucas. "Star Wars: Episode II is our first giant step."

The prototype digital cinematography system consists of a Panavision
modified HDW-F900 with a new Panavision viewing system and other
modifications, one of which enables the use of Panavision's extensive range
of film style accessories.

In order to meet the image quality required by Lucasfilm, Panavision has
also developed a brand new series of Primo Digital(TM) lenses. The ultra
high speed F1.5 lenses have been custom designed to maximize the performance
of the HDW-F900, enabling the image performance that helped convince Lucas
and McCallum.

In November 1999, Sony delivered the Phase I prototype camcorder to
Panavision, which physically converted the camcorders to accept its newly
developed cinematography lenses and associated accessories.

Following preliminary system testing at Panavision, the ILM/Lucasfilm tests
were initiated in January 2000 and continued through February and early
March. These tests included separate optical, digital camera, and digital
recording tests ultimately leading to integrated system operational testing.
The latter encompassed subsequent computer processing of the digitally
captured images.

"These tests included a series of comparative shoots in which they shot a
variety of scenes in parallel with motion picture film, including interior
and exterior scenes, close-up and wide-angle takes, and a series of complex
blue-screen composite shots," said Larry Thorpe, vice president of
acquisition systems for Sony Electronics' Broadcast and Professional
Company.

"They made sure to compose all scenes for a final 2.40:1 aspect ratio, which
also involved extraction of this widescreen format from the 16:9 digital
capture. They used large format VistaVision film for the reference film
origination," continued Thorpe.

The tests also explored different technologies for the transfer of digital
to motion picture film. The proprietary ILM transfer system, the EBR system
of Sony, and the laser recorder system of E-Films of Los Angeles were used
to transfer the digital material to 35mm film. The VistaVision film
originals were processed to a 35mm-film release print. The two 35mm films
were viewed on a large screen at the Skywalker Ranch Stag Theater on March
10.

"The tests were really quite astonishing," said Jim Morris, president of
Lucas Digital. "The image quality of the new Sony camera and the Panavision
lenses exceeded our expectations, and really validate the 24P system as a
great new tool for moviemaking. All of our hopes about doing digital capture
for the big screen have started to be realized, and we are extremely jazzed
by the possibilities."

"This is the exciting dawn of a new era in moviemaking," said Star Wars
producer Rick McCallum. "There is no turning back. It is being born within
an environment of super teamwork among our people at ILM and Lucasfilm, and
the folks at Panavision and Sony. We set the bar high for digital HD imaging
and they have responded magnificently. We intend to cut through all of the
industry angst and thrust 24P digital HD squarely onto the moviemaking
stage. Star Wars: Episode II will do just that," he added.

"We start shooting Episode II in Australia in June, " McCallum noted. "All
of the sets are in final stages of construction. In August, the shooting
will move to Italy and to Tunisia. We will shoot for a total of three months
and then we plan to spend about 18 months in postproduction."

"We brought optical design to a new height in meeting the challenges of
developing cinematography lenses for the small 2/3-inch image format," said
John Farrand, president and CEO of Panavision. "Our mission was to provide a
complete system for digital cinematography enabling Panavision's goal of
providing our clients with the very best in digital and film acquisition
systems. These tests show we are well on our way to meeting that goal."

"Clearly, this is the realization of a vision we have held at Sony for quite
some time," said Ed Grebow, president of Sony Electronics' Broadcast and
Professional Company. "The confidence and vision of George Lucas greatly
motivated our dedicated engineering team. Lucasfilm is breaking new ground
in proving that digital acquisition empowers the creative process."

Phase two prototype HDW-F900 units have been delivered to Panavision, and
following the docking to the final lenses and accessories, these will be
used by David Tattersole, director of photography for Star Wars: Episodes I
and II, to establish camera set-up parameters for his photography of Star
Wars: Episode II.

The final product versions of the planned six HDW-F900 camcorders for Star
Wars: Episode II will be prepared by Panavision in May and will be ready for
the onset of principal photography in June.