[opendtv] Re: 20040921 Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:35:36 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

 > And all of what I said was predicated on something that does not
 > exist. REAL EDTV. EDTV was purposely crippled to make sure that it
 > would not cannibalize HDTV.  A progressive raster of 1024 x 576 can
 > deliver incredible pictures...but the equipment to produce it is
 > almost non-existant. BUT.

I'd agree that, when properly done, 1024x576p could probably match
almost all of what is currently sent in HDTV today, especially if it was
really in 4:2:2 format.  But, as you said, it mostly does not exist
here.  And 720p is only 25% greater in each direction so it's probably
close enough to have similar economics.

The intermediate resolution I miss would probably have been something
like 1280x1080i or even 1440x1080i since I think this would be closer to
"effectively square" pixels in a 16x9 format.   But I suppose I have a
bias towards interlaced resolutions since most HD RPTV's like mine still
use them.  This of course may change with new technology.

- Tom