[opendtv] Re: 20040921 Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:33:36 -0400

At 1:19 PM -0700 9/27/04, Michael Hazarian wrote:
>Isn't gate jitter a problem at every step of the process? Acquisition,
>transfer to working negatives, edited master, duplication,
>presentation, etc (how many "transfers" are made from acquisition to
>presentation?)?

Not exactly. Most of the better 35mm cameras offer very good
registration with pin guides. The same can be done during the process
of digitizing the negative, however this does slow the process down.
It's just a question of cost versus quality. There are also some pin
registered projectors which cut down considerably on jitter - but it
is rare to fine them at your local cinema complex.

>At each step isn't the perceived effect the same as  spatially
>convoluting the image with a gaussian of some finite width? Seems to me
>that even if you start out at 4000 x 2000 you'd be lucky to end up with
>a perceived 1200 x 600 even with just a +/-1 "pixel" jitter at each
>step though I'd expect +/-1 "pixel" is a conservative estimate.
>
>Am I way off here?

You seem to be in the right ballpark.