[opendtv] Re: 20040921 Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:32:08 -0500

jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Prin could tell you what the real resolution of film positive is.
> It is much less than what you think it is, don't be disappointed.
> Prin, are you willing to publish it ?

I go to few movies. I have gone to all the LOTR movies
at our semi-local (40 miles) big screen old-time
high quality movie house that runs first run movies.
(Parenthetically we have an even better house right in
town, that can do Todd-AO, but they can't get first run
movies since they are owned by the park district and
are used mostly for Ebert's film festival, some
revivals, and stage performances.)

I was mightily un-impressed by the image, though the sound
was first rate. You could see the film grain, but the resolution
didn't do the grain justice. Monday Night Football and
Leno are better.

And that was a six showing old print. As seen in a local
247.8-plex, 40 days into the run, it was even worse!

Doug McDonald