[opendtv] Re: 20040921 Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Michael Hazarian <haz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:19:56 -0700

On Sep 27, 2004, at 8:02 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Doug has observed the rather obvious. Release prints, projected with
> run of the mill equipment fall short on delivered resolution. One of
> the biggest factors that robs resolution is gate jitter - successive
> frames USUALLY do not line up perfectly, resulting in a significant
> loss of detail.

Isn't gate jitter a problem at every step of the process? Acquisition,
transfer to working negatives, edited master, duplication,
presentation, etc (how many "transfers" are made from acquisition to
presentation?)?

At each step isn't the perceived effect the same as  spatially
convoluting the image with a gaussian of some finite width? Seems to me
that even if you start out at 4000 x 2000 you'd be lucky to end up with
a perceived 1200 x 600 even with just a +/-1 "pixel" jitter at each
step though I'd expect +/-1 "pixel" is a conservative estimate.

Am I way off here?

Michael Hazarian
Rx Productions