[ola] Re: English Week vs. English Day

  • From: Nanosh Lucas <nanosh.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 09:05:58 -0700

Hello!

My English week will likely end after 6 days - I have them for 4 days a week. I
decided to do it as long as I felt like it was appropriate - some kids are
really ready, as they say I'm less animated/passionate in English (probably
true). We've been watching inspiring TED talks, doing the ropes course
activities (turtles and tarp) that we learned during the OWL training this
summer, I'm giving them a baseline Spanish proficiency test that we developed
for native speakers that gives a somewhat decent sample of students' writing,
reading, listening, and speaking abilities (we are using it to dole out credit
for high school Spanish for native speakers, as we don't have a NS program here
now - let me know if you are interested in giving credit to native speakers - I
can furnish you with novice and intermediate-level copies), and I heard about
Annie's yarn activity, which we did a bilingual creation of personality
attributes and activities students like to do. I also had students make mind
maps of things that are relevant to them. We talked about things they should
pay attention to in the syllabus, and that should take us through.

Thanks for all your input - I am enjoying reading about everything and
incorporating your awesome ideas.

Nanosh