[ola] Re: English Week vs. English Day

  • From: Nanosh Lucas <nanosh.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 23:10:16 -0700

Yarn activity, as I did it - I sort of heard about it - I'm sure it must have
changed:

Goal - students share what they offer to the class/engender compassion for
others as they describe what others bring to the class.

Intro:

There are three things:
characteristics
talents
activities

Choose one, and say:

I bring ______ to the class.
My talent is ______.
My activity is ________.

First person to get it has the ball of yarn - teacher can walk it over or
students can throw it/pass it, depending on your preferences. Each student who
talks next gets the ball, wraps yarn around their hand or fingers a couple of
times, then passes it on. After a while, the class is all connected by a big
web. Then, students unwind the not saying:

Bobby, I think you bring ________ to the class.

It takes a good while - I did one where I walked the ball of yarn around and
one where I let students do it. #1 was a lot faster.

Hope this helps all of you - I thought it was worthwhile.

Nanosh

p.s. I tell them i bring my attention to the class.