[ola] Re: English Week vs. English Day

  • From: Ashley Uyaguari <auyaguari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 05:12:05 -0400

I do learning journals in English. It's a homework assignment on google
docs every other week where they reflect on the acquiring a language. I
respond to them in English. It's a nice way to ge tthese types of things
in. I wouldn't have a regular English day/time each week. Stick with the
Spanish! They really don't need it. If you want more info on the learning
journal, I can send it along. I teach middle school and my 6th graders
(first year) did fine last year with just one English week and then maybe
another check in after a quarter. I didn't assign much homework the first
quarter because they couldn't understand exactly what I was asking them to
do. But, if they don't understand they are not ready to do it. By quarter
two I was able to assign more homework.

Another homework option is to take a short English time at the beginning of
each quarter and assign reoccurring assignments and give dates then. I do
this with Edmodo and LEarning Journals. So they do have homework, but they
know when to complete the tasks and I don't need to worry about them not
understanding when I remind them of the homework in Spanish because they
already have it all written down.

By the end of the year you can talk about debriefs, self evals and other
stuff while staying in Spanish! It's amazing!!! I really encourage you to
stick with 100% for OWL.

>>> joannac@xxxxxxx

--
Ashley Uyaguari

Spanish Teacher 6/7/8
Team Curriculum Coordinator
Innovation Academy Charter School
Tyngsboro, MA 01879
978-649-0432 x3301

This email may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are
not the intended recipient, please advise by return e-mail and delete
immediately without reading or forwarding to others.