[obol] Re: Lane coast birds

  • From: Oscar Harper <oeharper3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 16:48:12 -0700

Sounds like a fun outing. Hendrik, Isaac Denzer and I had at least a 100
CACKLERS at The Philomath sewage ponds today. Our first of the season. (
PPP is a lame and wrong name for the place :)) A pet peeve of mine that I'm
afraid is a losing battle :)
:)
Hope to see you all out birding-Oscar

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I may be the only person who was actively birding in coastal Oregon today
who neither saw nor heard a White-fronted Goose. Consolation prize twenty
Cacklers.

I spent the morning at Siltcoos and the south jetty area and mid-day at
north jetty and Baker Beach Rd.

Siltcoos lagoons (north side) offered nine Semi Plovers, one unbanded imm
Snowy (very scaly), a flyover HORNED LARK, which I don't find in coastal
Lane every year, a few flyover Am Pipits, twenty Cacklers coming in off the
ocean and three very active otters group-herding small fish into the
shallows, chomp chomp.

Siltcoos river mouth had 15 BB Plovers, 300 Sanderlings, eight flyby
pelicans and a small gullwad on the beach; oddly it contained several adult
Herring Gulls and only a couple of Cals. Seems early for groups of
herrings but I saw a few more at Flor jetties later.

South Jetty Rd dogpond was empty. Crabdock flats had a small flock of M
Godwits and a flock of BB Plovers, with one Western Sand, one dowitcher and
one DUNLIN (first of season) mixed in. Also present a couple of
Golden-crowned Sparrows and a Fox. No big flocks of either yet.

BB Road had a Black Phoebe at the beaverdam bridge and probably another
north in the trees. Otherwise the usual twenty Steller's Jays (why do they
like this place so much?), a Pileated calling from the hillside and a few
rails.

On the way home I checked the slough at Waite Ranch. It also had a Black
Phoebe, about a hundred Canada Geese and Hooded Mergs.

By the way, I hope that whoever owns the south jetty road by the crab pier
flats realizes that the road is not going to make it through the winter.
The barrier of trees and sand has collapsed into the bay fifty yards north
of the gravel pullout and there is only about a foot of sand wall left.
One high tide with a storm surge and the east lane will be in the bay.

.
.
Alan Contreras
acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

Eugene, Oregon

NOTE: Owing to my workload and travel schedule, I may take up to a week to
respond to messages.