[muglo] Re: Mac Mini

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 00:11:17 -0500

Hi Tim, at the Apple store I see listed an iMac Core Duo 1.83 GHz for
1500 CAD!!!

If you're going to go all the way, don't skimp now to save a few extra
$$$. Especially in this case your Core Duo will be supported aeons
longer than the iMac G5! Like the PPC 9600 the G5s are a "last of
kind" beast. Yes, they're phenomenally fast compared to their
predecessors, but, history repeats itself and they'll have the
_shortest_ official support lives!

Generally, it seems that Apple is willing to drop support for older
hardware after about three years (last 040s released in 1995 & sold
into 1996, OS 8.1 released in 1998; last 604s released in 1997 & sold
into 1998; OS X Beta released 2000, OS X 10.0 in 2001; last OS 9
update... 2001)

PS If you have educational contacts* you can get the iMac 17" Core Duo
or G5 for $1400 and the 20" version of either machine for $1850 (new).

*i.e. either you or your spouse (if applicable) is a K-12 teacher or
you are affiliated with a college/university (either as student or as
faculty or as parent of student)

Eric.