[muglo] Re: Mac Mini

  • From: Tee Cashmore <teecashmore@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:48:49 -0500

On 16-Feb-06, at 9:17 PM, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> CPU wise the Mac mini will be blindingly fast compared to an early
> iBook. However, for HD tasks performance will be disappointingly
> similar on the 40 GB model to an iBook laptop drive (don't know about
> the 80 GB one).
'Cause that speed, or lack of it, depends on what you are doing.

> IIRC the Mac mini 40 GB is a 4200 RPM drive, and, as far as I can tell
> it's no faster than the 20 GB drive in my PowerBook G3/400 (which is 4
> years older). I can really tell when the mini hits virtual memory,
> and, damn does it ever slow down (of course, I'm not particularly kind
> to my machines when it comes to multitasking ;-). Compared to the 80
> GB 3.5" IDE drive in my G3/266 server it's _really_ slow.

Part of my pointed replies to Dave B was that Tim is not a MultiTasker
per se.

> Instead of an LCD go for a _nice_ 19 or 21" CRT for $200. Yeah,
> they're a "little" (ahem, lot) heavier but they're also quite a bit
> cheaper and offer you a variety of screen sizes in one package (which
> I like), plus, the cheap LCDs really aren't that good...

Actually the Proview that Costco sold at $280 was rated very highly in
a number of reviews. Martin A & I bought them, but the current
selection is not as good.

> However, if you're willing to go CRT and buy a used base model Mac
> mini for just  over $500 and plunk down an extra $300 for a NICE brand
> spanking new 19" CRT you've got a nice computer for around $800... Or,
> you could get one of Tee's 17" monitors (brand?) for $35 and you'd
> have yourself a new, fast 1.25 GHz machines for ~$550 (capable of
> running Google Earth <http://earth.google.com> :-).
>
> Eric.
Brands are Sony, & LG, all with Sony innards.
TTFN,
TeeC

        http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/joinus.html

            http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/