[muglo] Re: Mac Mini

  • From: Dave Bonhoff <gtidave@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:04:45 -0500

Okay,
Let's do a quick comparison of G5 iMac ($1749) to best Mini ($899)...

G5 2.1 GHz vs G4 1.42 GHz
250 GB SATA HD vs 80 GB ATA laptop HD
8x Double layer Super Drive vs 4x single layer Super Drive
128 MB vs 32 MB video card
20" widescreen LCD vs what ever you buy (~$700 for a 20" LCD)
Support for extended desktop on second monitor vs mirroring only (?)
Better bundle of software vs lesser bundle
Front Row and remote vs hacked Front Row and 3rd party remote
Built in iSight vs iSight or other web cam

On every point the iMac is the clear winner.  If you don't already
have an excellent monitor, keyboard, mouse, and external HD's, then
there is no reason to even consider the Mini, but let's continue...

What features do you need?  Absolute, must have, needs.  This
includes the intended useful life span!
What would you like or need in the near future?

By the time you build a Mini to a similar spec as an iMac, you will
be well beyond the price of an iMac and still have a slow Mini.  If $$
$ are the primary concern, and your iBook is still functional, then
I'd suggest waiting.  Today's machines are yesterdays technology at
the best of times!

OS 9 is dead and gone.  You can hang onto your legacy apps for as
long as you want, but the OS is finished.  The hardware that
supported it is no longer.  You don't have to like it, but that is
the reality.  If you are happy or comfortable computing as you did
yesterday or in '99, then all this discussion is worthless.  Keep
what you've got and be happy as the world moves on.  I hate the fact
that I have functional beige machines collecting dust, that my Newton
is a brick of a PDA that I can't easily sync with my iBook, etc.
But, I have chosen to move on for my own reasons.  For me, the pro's
out weigh the con's.

A purchase of new hardware should be made with a forward looking
attitude rather than a backwards one!

HTH some more...
Dave

        http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/joinus.html