[muglo] Re: Mac Mini

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:28:20 -0500

And, you can pick up used Mac minis with warrantee for $100  less than
their new price ($500 for a base model with 512 MB RAM, 40 GB drive).

It's quite a nice machine, and, if you're coming from a G3 it'll be a
fair bit faster. However, the hard drive is SLOW AS MOLASSES IN
January in Moscow (certainly not SWOntario). It's a laptop drive and
it ain't exactly zippy.

You'll be able to set yourself up with a machine + LCD monitor that's
half decent for around $1200. But, keep in mind that the iMacs
(whether G5 or i86) are sooooo much faster than the Mac mini.

As for running OS 9... what's the software you're running? Chances are
there's something newer out there. Plus, the iMac Intel will still be
sooooo much faster than what you're running now and it'll only get
_faster_ as the software is recompiled for the Intel (it's strange to
think that a computer would get faster after time ;-)!

Eric.