[modeleng] Re: Pickle

  • From: "Tim Rickard" <the_viffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 09:41:34 +0000

Hi Ron thanks for the welcome (and Dave too).

Yes I'm pretty certain (without actually having tried) it that caustic would
be OK. You'd want to be very wary about adding it. Certainly a job for old
clothes and goggles. You should get a light blue precipitate of copper
hydroxide which you could just stick in the bin. One of the problems with
using caustic is getting to somewhere approaching neutrality. I think
flushing a mildly alkali or mildly acidic solution down the drain with lots
of water is a lot more acceptable than doing the same with a neutral one
with lots of metal ions dissolved in it. One thing you could do is try
dripping a bit on some bicarb: if it fizzes it is still acidic. I expect
lurking around at home there is some universal indicator paper (it shows all
pH's not just a change between acid and alkali) and if you want to ping me
offlist wih your address I will send you some if we have got any.