[modeleng] Pickle

  • From: "Ron Head" <ron.head@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 23:12:18 +0100

Hi chaps

I've been finding it difficult to get citric acid, as shops like Boots just
don't seem to stock home brew equipment any more.  However, I've just found
that a mail order company, the Home Brew Shop (www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk)
can supply 1kg tubs for 4UKP, which I think is pretty good. The downside is
that the postage is 6.50UKP, however I've ordered two tubs and that should
last me some time.

In my workshop I have a spent tank of sulphuric acid - it contains so much
dissolved copper that it is probably mostly copper sulphate now. Does anyone
know of a safe/legal way to dispose of it? Could I mix an alkali with it to
neutralise it, and if so would it be safe to tip down the drain? I expect
this might still be taboo on account of the dissolved metal. Any ideas
anyone?

Regards

Ron Head
Oxford