[modeleng] Re: Pickle

  • From: "Tim Rickard" <the_viffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 10:51:05 +0000

Errm sorry Ron.

I'm not certain that there is any point in sticking ferrous scrap in before
adding washing soda. The idea was that you'd swap the soluble copper ions
for iron ions. Then as the pH increases the iron ions (I love that) become
insoluble. However copper ions are also going to be insoluble at highish pH
so they'll crash out too I expect. I think the main message is if it is
still coloured it is going to have dissolved metal in it and that is not
going to please the water company. How do I know this? Well once upon a time
someone I know quite well (Lets call him the_viffer) killed most of the
local sewage works flora off by sticking a fair amount of soluble chromium
salts down the sink at the research lab he worked at.

Don't use ammonia as the neutralising agent tho' as it reacts with the
copper ions to form a pretty but soluble complex ion.