[modeleng] Re: Pickle

  • From: "Tim Rickard" <the_viffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 09:06:49 +0000

Hi Ron

Citric acid can be tricky to get hold of in large amounts as it can be used
in some illicit drug preps. Home brew shops and Indian supermarkets are a
good bet but if you buy lots Plod may visit.

I'd certainly recommend that you neutralise an old pickle bath before
disposing of it. I'd suggest stirirng lots of powdered chalk (with care
it'll fizz). The reaction products include copper carbonate and calcium
sulphate. Neither are soluble so you'll get a heap of crud that you can
seperate from the liquid to save putting too many ions down the drain.
Another plan is to stick ferrous scrap in to precipitate the copper and then
neutralise with washing soda. Again it'll fizz and look really evil but
it'll get most of the ions out of it.

I'd give it a try on a small batch first.

Hope that helps