[modeleng] Re: Boring Bearings

  • From: fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 09:45:17 -0400 (EDT)

Jesse, you've got me a bit confused, now....  I think I understand that the
centerline of the Atlas headstock boring device was probably not quite
parallel to the ways of the lathe bed.  Is that what I should understand?
And the headstock and boring device were stationary on the bed and a cutting
tool (drill, boring bar, reamer) was fed through the device into the
headstock?  Have I got it?  Charles

You gots it mate!  I didn't discover my headstock was out of line until I had
been using the lathe past the warranty period.  I had been making ramrod heads
using form tools and had no reason to discover the thing was out of line till
it was too late.  I found the trouble when I tried to bore the cylinder for my
Stuart #9 mill engine.  Since I had operated an axle lathe that was over 100
years old (estimated) that turned tapered, I had learned to tap on the cross
feed handle to correct the taper.

Jesse in Tennessee