[modeleng] Re: Boring Bearings

  • From: fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 06:14:09 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

As mentioned in my message to Al Messer, I am slowly making a small, heavy,
hopefully precision, screwutting lathe from large lumps of solid cast iron.
The centre height will be about 2".    I have finished the bed, (with
'dovetail' ways) and had this precision ground, and have almost finished the
cross and top slides.
I am now planning the construction of the headstock, also machined from the
solid.  The mandrel will be 20mm in diameter, supported by two opposed taper
roller bearings of 42mm diameter.   I am perplexed how to bore the seatings for
these bearings.    I have a 5" centre height Emco lathe and a horizontal
milling machine.
I thought of clamping the roughed-out headstock onto the vees of the bed, and
clamping the lathe bed onto the bed of the milling machine, checking the
squareness with a dial gauge.   It should then be possible to drill and then
bore the seating for the bearing, using a boring head.   Difficult, but
possible!     My problem is how to bore the bearing seating on the other end of
the headstock, whilst ensuring accurate alignment with the first seating?

I hope that I make myself clear.    Any practical advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Cheers!   Hubert Elffers

Atlas Prerss Company claimed to have had a boring device that attached to the
lathe bed to bore for the spindle bearing.  Sounds like you are working along
the same lines and just need to make a boring bar with two cutters on it, one
for each bearing hole.  Good luck on your venture.  Don't cast iron dust taste
wonderful?  [:>(

Jesse in Tennessee