Re: [MoAccess] new motif

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "MoAccess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <MoAccess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 15:03:36 -0400

To be fair, the Motif is a series. Every new Motif always keeps the best of the
previous series. The Motif has a certain sound to it, which Yamaha tries to
keep. Beyond that, newer Motifs try to be fully compatible with anything that
you made on at least the previous model.

When we went from classic to ES, Yamaha added massive effects, along with some
mega voices, but didn't just throw out all Motif classic voices. The electric
pianos were about the same, for example, and they were good anyway, so why
bother? On XS, the quality of the effects were upgraded, the system ran faster,
and the synth engine was upgraded. With a new synth engine, we got even more
mega voices, but Yamaha didn't just get rid of the existing mega voices. Most
of the other instrument voices were upgraded, too, like adding more velocity
layers than were on the ES, but the style of the sound was kept the same, and
there were still lots of classic Motif sounds in the XS.

XF will be the same way. More mega voices, more standard voices, and probably
some existing XS voices will be enhanced with additional velocity layers.
Probably, some XS voices will be dropped, either cause there are better
versions, or cause adding new voices has to push some old voices out in order
to make room.

This is just how it works. You only get a mostly new set of ROM samples and
voices when an entirely new line comes out. Roland updated and enhanced the JD
era voices for close to 14 years through all of the JD, JV, XP, and XV synths.
They didn't do a major overhaul until the original Fantom came out, and those
voices have been updated through the Fandom X, the Fandom G, the Juno G, etc.
Korg is the same. The original M1 sounds were there through the W series, the X
series, the T series, etc. There were even lots of those in the Trinity. They
overhauled their set for the Triton, but then used that set through probably 10
years worth of synths until the Oasys came out. Even the Oasys still has some
M1 sounds in it for nostalgia/classics sake. And how long has Kurzweil been
building on its original sampling sessions from the 80's?

The Motif's set probably goes back to the EX. Still, there have been huge
upgrades along the way. All Yamaha synths were 4 element until the XS. When the
XS's 8 element engine came out, Yamaha re-did most all of the stock voices. The
pianos, electric pianos, organs, winds, reeds, and most all of the other basic
sounds were expanded to support more velocity layers, attack/release sounds,
extra articulations with the AF buttons, etc. Plus, they added several new mega
voice instruments. Don't forget, on the ES, the mega voice instruments were a
novelty, almost. We had 2 guitars, and 2 basses, I think. They were amazing,
but there were only 2, and most of the other sounds were not too different from
the classic or EX. The XS has lots of mega voices, a bunch of xpanded
articulation voices, and even most all of the basic voices were updated to
several velocity layers and to have articulation effects. That was a huge
amount of sound design. There will be new voices in the XF, but the XS was the
last major voice refresh. You won't see Yamaha completely throw out the library
and start from scratch for years yet. Neither will Korg. Neither will Roland.
New models will come out, and the instrument sounds will be expanded a bit, but
the sound of the boards now is how they'll sound for quite a while to come.
Korg is a darker/warmer sound that excels at arpeggiating synthy stuff. Roland
is a bright sound that excels at dance and groove based styles, while beating
out Korg in terms of real instrument sounds. Yamaha is a polished (sometimes
too clean) sound that specializes in real world instruments, while not quite
having all of the features that Korg and Roland do for synth sounds. That's how
it is. That's not by accident. That's the markets that they target. Korg is
after pop radio and hip hop. Roland is after the dance crowd. Yamaha is after
cover bands and jazz cats. You can use what ever you want for what ever you'd
like, but those synths have specific sounds because of the people that the
companies are marketing to. They build their sounds like they build a trademark
or brand image. Yamaha has a certain sound, and, even if they upgrade the
samples/voices, they'll keep that sound style, because that is what existing
Yamaha owners like.

Bryan