[macvoiceover] Re: iPad or Laptop

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 15:46:41 -0800

Honestly, I can't remember how long it took me to become comfortable
with the gestures. The whole touch screen thing was certainly daunting
when I first got my iPod. I really had a heck of a time typing; that
was before we had touch typing, so you had to double tap or split tap
every letter. Now they have speed dots screen protextors that you can
get for the various i-devices that help orient one to the keyboard.
Plus we have dictation, which is pretty accurate, but not perfect.
Certainly, if I had to do a lot of writing, I'd want to use a keyboard
and not rely on dictation or typing on the device. If you are both
totally blind, and you are considering an iPad, I'd really strongly
suggest looking at the mini, because all that extra real estate might
not be all that useful, although if you do really get in to typing on
the device, the regular iPad screen is a lot closer to a keyboard in
terms of the spread between letters. Still, for writing of any length,
I'd want that keyboard. Maybe you could go to an Apple store and just
mess with an iPad?

As for where to get a list of gestures, I don't know where there is
just a list of all the gestures, but I feel sure it exists. You might
check applevis. And there are a couple of books, one from National
Braille Press, and the other one's name escapes me just now, which are
written by blind people and talk about ios with VO. Sorry I don't have
any of the resource links. I wonder if the website associated with this
list might even have some of what you're looking for.

Mary