[macvoiceover] Re: iPad or Laptop

  • From: Tuscia Falconer <tusciafalconer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 10:40:28 +1300

Thanks Mary, I had not thought of connecting a BT keyboard, I use one with my
iMac, along with wireless headphones, which makes it portable within my house.
I do feel somewhat anxious about learning to access the iPad, and she would
have to learn gestures etc.
Primarily it is so she can access web information herself, without my
involvement.

TF

On 4/03/2015, at 10:32 am, Mary Otten <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, my first question would be, what does your wife want to do with
the machine? Will she use a bt keyboard? If she wants to do just email
and some web browsing, reading books, audible etc, radio listening,
accessing stuff you have in the cloud or music that is on your Mac,
then the iPad or even the mini is certainly the less expensive way to
go. A lot of the VO stuff on the i-devices is the same, from the point
of view of a bt keyboard, and the whole thing is a whole lot less
complicated than a Mac. Of course, it is a lot less powerful, there is
way less storage, etc. But I have to admit that I don't find myself
using my Mac much these days,  mostly because I can do on my i-devices
pretty much all of what I used my Mac for. And other stuff, like
Kurzweil and embossing, still requires Windows. Yes, I know that can be
run on a Mac. But that's not why one buys a Mac. <smile>

I don't use the BT keyboard that much with my iPad mini, but if that
were my first touch screen device, I think it would be intimidating. I
recall when I got my iPod touch a few years ago. It was not a fun
experience for some time, and there wasn't bluetooth connectivity, nor
was there dictation back then.

Mary