[lit-ideas] Re: grades & kleenex

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 03:38:55 +0100

>Could you provide an example of the acceptable use you have in mind?

How about some examples?

 "Now this king did keep a great house, that every body might come and take
their meat freely" (Sir Philip Sydney, Arcadia); "There's not a man I meet
but doth salute me,/As if I were their well-acquainted friend" (Shakespeare,
Comedy of Errors); "Some more audience than a mother,/Since nature makes
them partial, should o'erhear/The speech" (Shakespeare, Hamlet); "If ye from
your hearts forgive not every one his brother their tresspasses..." (King
James Bible, Matthew 18:35); "Who is in love with her? Who makes you their
confidant?" (Jane Austen, Emma); "A person can't help their birth"
(Thackeray, Vanity Fair); "'If everybody minded their own business,' the
Duchess said in a hoarse growl, 'the world would go round a deal faster than
it does'"("Lewis Carroll," Alice's Adventures in Wonderland); "No man goes
to battle to be killed.--But they do get killed" (George Bernard Shaw, Three
Plays for Puritans); "He's one of those guys who's always patting themself
on the back" (J.D. Salinger, Catcher in the Rye); "I had to decide: Is this
person being irrational or is he right? Of course, they were often right"
(Robert Burchfield, former Editor in Chief of the Oxford English
dictionaries).

Judy Evans
jaye@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx