[lit-ideas] Re: grades & kleenex

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 15:38:32 -0400

>***
>
>I see you punctuate the way I do, Julie. Copy editors, and in particular US
>copy editors, don't like it at all.  (They insist the punctuation follows
>the quotation marks, whether that either makes sense, or is true to the
>original, or not.)

I use the rule that if the punctuation ends THEIR sentence, it goes inside
the quotation marks. If it ends MINE, then it goes outside.

So...

1) The man said "Hello Jane. It's a pleasure to see you."

and

2) One of the most famous soliloquies from Shakespeare is the one that
begins "To be or not to be".

Now, just don't ask me what I do if it ends BOTH sentences and we'll be AOK.

Paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada