[lit-ideas] Re: grades & kleenex

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 16:20:38 -0700

on 5/6/04 12:34 PM, Judith Evans at judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'd say she shows awareness of a problem.  "A hero is only a hero if he has
> some fear" is less acceptable to me than an attempt, albeit flawed, to cope
> with the problem.  "They" third person singular is perfectly acceptable, and
> not only of late.

What?

The horror, the horror.  I hear fingernails grating on a blackboard, drones
out of tune, a supermarket cart's wheel stuck and rubbing.  This is my
native tongue we're talking about.  He/she agreeing with "they"?
Aaaaaaaargh.

But give the teacher extra credit for awareness.

> I add that "effect" for "affect" is though certainly wrong too often used in
> the media for us to trample on it too heavily.

The world is heavy upon us.  A cousin's daughter recently said that she was
failing one of her high school classes.  What grade is she getting?  A "C."
C means failure in her high school.  So now we're all officially above
average, or failures.  No wonder they're running short of Kleenex.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon