[lit-ideas] Re: grades & kleenex

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 00:48:25 +0100

> In all of the British fiction I've read over many, many years,
> the quotes in
> dialogue come before the period.

Yes. I'd noticed the differing US, but forgot.

>The
> rules for ? are self-evident.

Indeed.  Here's an example of the kind of copy-editing horror I meant
(perpetrated by a US copy-editing agency, presumably a kind of sweatshop).

".. and what Adrienne Rich calls 'this way of grief,' in a poem that, I
believe,speaks to us all."

replacing "... 'this way of grief', in a poem that..".

This isn't a good example as in the sentences I have in mind (but not to
hand) a comma after the quotation was essential. But it does show the
mindless application of a (presumably misunderstood) rule.

I add that Adrienne Rich did not write "this way of grief,".

Judy Evans
jaye@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx