[lit-ideas] Re: Willie Pete

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 19:04:47 -0500

We supported Saddam when he was killing all those people  I wonder why that
never gets mentioned.  We've done our share of out and out terror as well
(Vietnam, United Fruit, instituting Pinochet and the Shah of Iran, others).
Also, over how many years did Saddam kill 300,000 and over how many years
did we kill how many Iraqis?  The British medical organization estimated
100,000.  Even if it's "only" 10,000, the Iraqi victims died for as much
reason as the 3,000 died for in the WTC.  Invading Iraq was pure terror on
a monstrous scale on the part of Bush.  Since you're comparing us with
them, if you weigh attacking two buildings against attacking an entire
country that was no threat to us, which one weighs more?  One of the things
that keeps people terrorized in the countries you feel so superior to is
torture.  Torture is the very thing your vice president is fighting so hard
in support of.  Exactly why you feel superior is hard to grasp aside from
needing to feel superior.

> Maybe when I grasp that number, we can pull together and mourn
> for those killed by insurgents, and then those killed by accident
> in the course of removing the insurgency.

If dead and dying were a consideration, you'd be supporting getting us out
of Iraq rather than continuing a pointless loss of life that increases our
insecurity.  Don't believe it?  Check out how well Iraqi flypaper worked in
Jordan.

Andy