[lit-ideas] Re: Willie Pete

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:11:09 -0500

That is what I meant, Phil. As had Tito in the former Yugoslavia, Saddam Hussein had kept a lid on ethnic and religious violence (albeit leaving room for his own). The Americans should have/could have planned for this. But perhaps they did and it suits them this way. Divided they fall and all that...

As for your comment in another post, I suspect none on this list would be out killing other Canadians or Americans, but enough others would. Look how much American on American violence there is even without an insurgency for cover. Look how quickly any excuse for mob violence escalates. Many there are who would welcome such a free-for-all. This is not just something 'others' would do.

I have a nephew who in a family discussion in the early days of the American invasion wrote something about how the Iraqis were obviously 'lesser,' just witness how they descended on that downed pilot at the water's edge and smoked him out of the reeds. He really had no clue how quickly that could happen here -- and how many would stand around and applaud. And he's a 30 year old policeman. Imagine what the 18 year olds think...

Ursula

Phil Enns wrote:

Ursula Stange wrote:

"The killing of their fellow citizens by the insurgents in Iraq has to do
with ethnic and religious power-grabbing, much of which was unleashed by the
American invasion."

Nonsense. This ethnic and religious violence has a history dating long before the invasion. The Shia/Sunni conflict is centuries old as is the Arab/Persian. It might fit one's political agenda to blame the Bush administration for all that is wrong in Iraq, but the blame would have little to do with the facts. Having said that, the Americans fanned the flames of all-ready existing conflict and did little to resolve them.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON