[lit-ideas] Re: Willie Pete

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 10:19:27 -0500

Just to be certain there's no misunderstanding here--Ursula correctly (and more clearly) described what I was trying to point out. It was not a comment about Ursula. It was a comment about people shouting "I told you so!" in a graveyard.

Ursula: But you're right that there is an unsavory sort of glee every time the news gets worse. An odd bit of human nature that. Can our hatred of George Bush really be more important to us than the toll of suffering that's accompanying his failure? Are we so happy to be right that we're secretly glad when our worst fears come true? It's only when the reality of suffering behind that 'worse' news comes flooding in, that we paper it over with anger. Perhaps dissembling is what separates us from the (other) animals.

Eric: It's exactly that weird sort of sado-masochistic schadenfreude that I was trying to point out.